This is holiday spirit???
Friday, November 28, 2008
Everyone knows that "Black Friday" is a crazy shopping day. Retailers expect huge turnouts. People camp out in front of the big box stores like Best Buy and Walmart for hours. All for the hope of snagging that perfect gift, and even more important, and the perfect price. I personally, even if I did not have to work, would not be caught anywhere near any of those stores. There is nothing that is worth my sanity, especially with what little I have left.
The stories you hear from this day are sad and just plain disgusting. There are the people who will take items from other people's carts. Fights have broken out. The news here in Iowa where I am tonight had pictures of a dozen cop cars in front of the local Walmart because people were literally beating each other for a certain digital camera. Merry Christmas to you too! Even worse though, are the people who are actually killed on this day. I have heard reports of at least 2 dead and many more injured from various trampling accidents. There are reports of at least another two dead from gun shots at a Toys-R-Us too. Why? For a holiday that is supposed to be about loving each other, acts of kindness, and the like, what the heck is going on?
I think a wake up call is in order because this is insane. There is no reason for a mother to steal something from someone's cart, or the two guys to get into a fight over the last TV, or someone who actually feels the need to shoot someone over a Barbie doll. Give me a break. Makes me sad, because the true meaning of Christmas is the complete opposite of what happens today. There is another idea for today besides "Black Friday", and it is "DO NOT SHOP TODAY" day. I know, I didn't think the name was very creative, but the email I got about today said instead of fighting with the public, why not take today to remember what the season is truly about.
I am sure most people went out shopping. I hope who did survived with out too much incident. I assume everyone had a great Thanksgiving, and now Christmas is right around the corner. Oh, and everyone needs to watch "A Christmas Story" at least once before Christmas!
0 comments:
Post a Comment