It is possible for an accident to be an accident.
Saturday, November 22, 2008
I am aware of the risks that being a pilot poses. Even in the smaller planes that I fly, at any given time, the safety of the 80 people in the back is our focus. It is what we are all trained to do. So why am I always so surprised that every time there is a plane accident the pilots get sued.
The one that has got me on this today, is Travis Barker, a drummer from the band 'Blink-182' was in an accident mid September in South Carolina, that killed 4, including the two pilots, and injured himself and another. But yesterday, the news comes out the Travis Barker, a very successful musician with a net worth of a reported 31 million dollars is filing suit over the crash. Who is the target of the suit? You guessed it, the pilots.
Barker is alleging that the pilots were not trained properly, even though the combined flight time of the two pilots exceeded 17,000 hours. In fact, most of what pilots are trained to do is deal with every type of emergency possible. So how did he come to this conclusion? The long and short of the accident was there was a tire blow out on the takeoff roll. The pilots tried to stop the aircraft on the remaining runway, but overran the runway and smashed into an embankment, bursting into flames. Now, the basic protocol is that if you are below a certain speed on takeoff, and an emergency occurs, you abort the takeoff, if you are above that set speed, that you continue to takeoff, as you will not have adequate amount of runway left to stop safely. The NTSB reported finding tire fragments, assuming from the blown tire that the pilots reported feeling from the voice recorder, at 2,750 feet down a 8,000 foot runway. By most people's calculations, that would put the aircraft below their speed and a rejected takeoff would be most prudent. However, with at least one tire blown, they were not able to stop in time. To me, the pilots did everything right. In fact, they died, not Barker. Not that this fact is stopping him from suing the estate of the pilots. In short he is basically suing the pilots' surviving family members --- wives. How low can you honestly go? By almost every aeronautical professional the pilots did things right, but you with NO AVIATION EXPERIENCE, are going to play God and drag the families of the killed pilots through a horrible lawsuit? Disgusting.
If that isn't enough, he is also suing Goodyear Tire Co, who made the tires, Bombardier Aircraft Company, who manufactured the jet (and ironically is the same company who makes the regional jets that I fly), and the Charter company who owned the jet. I just don't get it.
Barker's bodyguard was killed in the crash, and now the bodyguard's family is also filing suit against the same for loss of earnings due to extreme sorrow, and funeral expenses.
I am very saddened to hear about plane crashes. Especially when it involves such a horrible ending. But here are two pilots who were killed, trying to do everything they could to save the lives of all on board. Their training kicked in right away as it is supposed to do. That is what we are there for. But instead of thanking the pilots for obviously doing enough right for at least Barker and another to survive, they are suing the people who are not at fault.
Sometimes an accident is just that. An accident. Get over yourself Travis Barker. God willing, you will never have to go through what you are putting others through. You have no right to treat others this way. You were given a second chance at life, and it is very disappointing that this is the way you have chosen to start it.
3 comments:
While I agree that it is not cool to sue as they are, I wouldn't put too much of this on Travis Barker the person as I doubt it was him making a decision to sue. My guess is its his business managers and record company etc. that is pushing the lawsuits.
I know where you are coming from as a pilot. Maybe they did everything right. You are looking at it in that he was lucky and has a second chance. He has a different take on it im sure having been injured in the incident and dealing with what that does to him and his family.
I am not saying its right for those families to be sued, I am merely saying I doubt its Travis Barker the drummer who said "I want to sue them all for my pain"
I don't care who is behind it. He is the one who has ultimate say over this kind of stuff. I just think it is dissapointing that he is taking other families down for money that he has no business suing for.
I stand corrected. I assumed this was his record company or agents pushing this crap, but after finding some comments by Barker himself.. I am with you on this. His comments make him look like an ass.
His statement:
"I wouldn't have been in the state I was in if I wasn't in the crash," Barker -- who blames the pilots and defective equipment -- tells E! News. "You know, I wouldn't have third degree burns all over my body or be prohibited to do certain things. I can't go swimming, I can't do some of the things that normal people can do. I didn't ask for that to happen." Asked whether he thinks he will win the suit, he says, "I don't know, I just think positive. I mean, I think so. If something goes wrong that's not supposed to go wrong or you fall victim of it," he adds, "I think you should be compensated."
Post a Comment