This must be a 19th stage of Hell...
Thursday, October 2, 2008
It seems like every hotel in every city has a spa attached to it now. I know some are considered to be some of the world's best. NYC, Las Vegas, LA, Chicago, Miami, etc, all have spas that are supposed to rival just about any in the world. I often wonder the attraction of a mud bath as it is contradictory to me. Aren't you supposed to wash the dirt off in the bath? Or how about putting cucumbers on your eyes as some dead sea dirt is rubbed into you. Sounds fantastic. I will take that any day over this new spa in Israel. Just look at the picture:
Now as much as I hate snakes, I am a little bias, I know, but I could not figure out for the life of me how this could be a spa treatment. I mean how could this possibly be therapeutic for anyone, even if you won't have a heart attack just looking at them, much like I would. Apparently the 'blend' of snakes is perfect to help you relax. The bigger snakes (the king snake and the corn snake) are supposedly enough to produce a very soothing kneading sensation. Meanwhile the little snakes, that are wrapped around your fingers, hands, feet, and in between your toes, cause a 'flutter' as they pass 'gently over your skin'.
Apparently the spa has worked very hard at trying to establish itself as a safe alternative to the the alternative of the human touch. The snakes in the Holy Land have gotten a bad rap. Of course that could be because over 85% of the snakes commonly seen around the Dead Sea and the surrounding areas are venomous. That would be enough to make me stay away. Never fear though, the spa ensures all its 'healers' are non-venomous. The founder of the spa admits that most people initially panic when the snakes are applied. She is also quick to add the panic subsides when the snakes charm is realized, and most people become relaxed and lightheaded...of course that could be because most people want to pass out when snakes are slithering all over them. According to the interview the snakes are "cool, dry, and smooth, and it is not unpleasant. Their presence stirs something deep and peaceful in me. I come away relaxed..."
Well, to me, like I said above, this is a very disturbing stage of Hell for me, much less something that I would pay the equivalent of $80 dollars for 15 minutes of snake treatment. Oh, and in case you were wondering, there have been a few "unfortunate" occurrences during the snake treatment. One of the weirder ones being when a snake decided to coughs up a half-digested mouse onto the stomach of the person getting the treatment. I don't know, but that does not sound too peaceful to me.
Snakes have longed been thought to have powers, dating all the way back to Moses, when he coiled a bronze snake around his staff and thrust it upward in the sky to remind people of the Almighty. (although I am pretty sure Adam and Eve have a different take on snakes...) A snake is also the symbol for medicine. The spa's regular clients insist that the snake treatment ease migraines and soothe sore muscles. I cannot even think about it. I will probably have dreams tonight of snakes crawling on me. That is the stuff of nightmares, not spa treatment. So unless I reach that 19th stage of Hell, count me out.
0 comments:
Post a Comment