Am I Going to Live?
Thursday, October 16, 2008
Yes...but the question is how long? A new study was put out showing if you are likely to live longer or not. Here is the condesied version, so you can see if you are going to be 120 or not!
*** You Are a Flourisher. According to the study, only about 17% of Americans are 'flourishers'. They have a positive outlook on life and have a strong sense of community and purpose. The average american is in the middle of flourisher and languisher.
*** You don't have a house cleaner. I know this will upset a lot of people who read this, but you burn an average of 285 calories an hour you clean your house. Another simple way to stay fit. When you get into your 80's, if you clean your own house, you lower your risk of death by 30% compared to those who have someone else clean it for them.
*** Your friends and family are healthy. You were right mom...the people you associate with have a big impact on your health and life. If your close friend gains weight, you are 57% likely to do the same thing. One of the researchers said "to maintain a healthy lifestyle, it is important to associate with people who have similar golas." I guess I never thought of that one.
*** You have been a college freshman. The simple reason behind this one is those who have at least one year of education beyond highschool live an average of 18 months longer than those who don't. Why --- they are much less likely to smoke. 25%less likely actually.
*** You don't like burgers. (Well, I guess we can't all live to be 120 huh?) Your chance for Colorectal cancer increases by 42% if you eat more than 3.5 ounces of red or processed meat every day.
*** You were a healthy-weight teen. If you were overweight at the age of 14, you are 56% more likely to develop type II diabetes in adulthood.
*** You eat purple food. Eat the grapes, eggplant, drink red wine. The reduce heart disease and protect against Alzheimer's disease too.
*** You skip the soda (even diet). I have been trying very hard to apply this one to me. I was doing well, then releapsed. Just like a junkie. Drinking just 12oz soda a day (diet or regular) doubles your chance of developing metabolic syndrome. Also, those who drank soda craved more sweet foods, leading to weight gain.
*** Your mom had you when she was young. Apparently if you were born when your mom was younger than 25, you are twice as likely to live to 100 as someone who was born after mom was 25. I guess I am lost in that one.
There were a few others, mostly dealing with activity levels and staying active. The thing about this list I found is most of them are easy. Everyone has things with food, like I love soda and red meat, but making other choices can truly help. How did you do on the list?
0 comments:
Post a Comment