So much for saving money
Monday, October 20, 2008
Austin, Texas is like many cities in the U.S. trying to find ways to save money to balance their budget. Unfortunatley, this means cutting a lot of services such as youth sports programs and things of that nature. When you are cutting important community functions because of budget issues, you assume that the money that the city is spending is going to important issues like fire and police services. Well, the city of Austin decided to spend $350,000 to make a video. Not a tourism video or anything that could possible bring additional revenue to the state, but rather a bus video.
So what is this bus video you ask? It is a video on how to ride the bus while standing up. Yes, this is a true video. The city brought in a whole production crew, complete with HD cameras to shoot this 7 minute video on how to stand on a bus. Give me a break. The video gives step-by-step instructions on what to do during geneal bus manuevers. For instance, it shows a rider standing explaining what to do when the bus begins to accelerate.
"Always hold onto the overhead hand rail. When the bus begins to accelerate, lean slightly forward, making sure you put your weight on your front foot. Watch as I demonstrate." That is an actual quote from the 'movie'.
We are here in what sure seems like a recesion (although I don't think I have heard the actual words from the economists yet) and we have city governments spend this absurd amount of money to produce a video that will help no one. And if you actually need a video of this nature, you probabkly shouldn't leave the house without full body protection, and don't forget your helmet and mouth guard. I personally thought that even the slowest person could figure out how to shift their weight on a moving vehicle. I guess that is what happens when you assume though.
On a different note, we are staying at the same hotel as Ron White the commedian. If you are unfamilar with him, he is on the Blue Collar Comedy Tour, and many others. Funny, funny guy. I guess he has a show tonight. To bad we can't go.
0 comments:
Post a Comment