Blah Blah Blah for 3 hours?
Sunday, September 7, 2008
Technology is a wonderful thing, right? I mean I personally would have a very hard time imagining a world without cell phones, GPS, etc. Even the internet has been around a lot of my life. But I think we are getting into a danger zone with some of our new inventions.
Airplanes have long banned many electronic devices, but as our aircraft get more sophisticated, so do the things that are allowed on them. Most people know about JetBlue and their satellite TV on board. In fact, when a JetBlue plane had a problem with its landing gear a few years back, more people knew about it on the plane than even before the flight attendants because people were watching live on CNN. A Really cool feature, especially for longer flights. For a while now, WiFi (internet) has been available on airplanes over in Europe. Well, now the technology is getting ready to be rolled out here. I here American Airlines will be the first to have it on its domestic aircraft. Just in case you cannot make your 4 hour flight without checking your email every 10 minutes, or need to get your fix of the latest Hollywood gossip. The problem is, the seats are barley wide enough and now everyone is going to have a laptop out to surf the internet while they fly.
The newest talks though, is the one that bothers me. Again, Europe is leading the way with this, and as far as I am concerned, they can keep it. What awful thing could I be referring to? It would be using your cell phone in flight. Now again, I cannot imagine not having a cell phone. I talk to my wife many times a day, and that is the ONLY way I would be able to do that. Yet I see NO NEED AT ALL to have cell phones in the air.
Most of us are afraid to sit next to the person who smells, or the person that really needs two seats, and therefore takes up half of your seat, but I have another fear now --- the person who will talk ALL 3 HOURS OF THE FLIGHT. I have zero desire to listen to someone on a cell phone talking to whoever about whatever, yelling in the phone for any length of time. Can you imagine sitting next to this person, stuck in the middle between the person who smells and now the person who yells into their cell phone for 3 hours? No thanks, I'll just sit on the wing. As crew, I can assure you that we have to stop our taxi at least once on a 4-day trip when getting ready to takeoff because someone is on their cell phone and won't get off it. It is a Federal Offense if you do not follow the instructions of the crew, and if we have to return to the gate to kick your sorry butt off the plane because you cannot get off your cell phone now, I can't imagine how bad it will be when cell phones are allowed in the air.
I am not alone though. And it is not just crew who think this is a bad idea. A recent poll in the USA Today reported that 86% of Americans who travel at least once a month think that it is a bad idea, and 94% of those who travel at least twice a year think it is a bad idea. In other words, nobody really wants this technology. I think we are going too far with things sometimes.
Even if the technology is put to use on American Airplanes (hopefully it never will) we can all still be considerate of the hundred other people around us and not use it. Just something to think about!
3 comments:
This is why I have in-ear headphones now. The last time I flew was the first time I had them and they block out about 98% of the noise around me.. even the airplane engine noise. All I hear is my music and I don't even have to turn it up loud to enjoy it. Hell the flight attendant had to tap me on my shoulder to see if I wanted a drink because I didn't hear her at all.
I agree that there is no need for the cell phone on the plan thing. I have mine on and usually send a txt right before I take off to let the parties who are waiting for me on the other end know that I am actually going to be leaving soon and then I have no need to call until we land.
I for one would not want to try and have a lengthy conversation in a tightly packed plane, nor would I want to be overhearing half of someone elses conversation for several hours.
I do think it will happen eventually.. even if a majority don't want it or think its needed. All service industries are looking for that leg up on their competitors and the first to roll that out will get increased business from those junkies and business people that feel they have to have it. That will make the others add it to catch up again.
I agree that with you Josh that it will happen eventually, but I don't think it will increase business for that airline, I think it will do just the opposite! I would not want to fly on an airline where I would have to listen to half of someones conversation during my entire flight! If I had the choice of airlines, I would definately take my business elsewhere just to avoid this!
Tell me something, does playing your ipod or dvd player really mess with the equipment?
Cell phones..... what next? hot tubs in the lounge.
Post a Comment