I'll Pass Thanks...

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

I was watching a show on the Travel Channel Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern earlier today. If you have not seen this show, it is worth checking out. Basically this guy travels all over the world to dine on the local cuisine. It is called bizarre foods for a reason though. Some of what he eats is weird, such as cow udder, and some is downright scary. I give you the live octopus.



Now, I was busy asking myself why on earth anyone would every attempt once, much less consider it a wonderful meal, but it turns out it is much more than just disturbing. It is extremely dangerous. Basically while you are chewing this thing, that reportedly has the consistency of a stale gummy bear, your food is more or less trying to save its own life by trying to kill you. Remember the hundreds of suction cups that the octopus has? Well, they are still there, and the choking hazard of eating live octopus is off the charts as they have the ability and tendency to suction themselves to your throat as you try to swallow. Okay then.

Apparently there is a great skill that those who eat this "delicacy" have. You must wrap the octopus around your chop sticks very tightly and then stick the whole thing in your mouth chewing and swallowing before the octopus is ever really able to uncurl itself. Now, I consider myself somewhat adventurous in trying new foods. Much more so the last couple years when I have really began to cook. I have very strict lines though, and this just flat out crosses it. In fact, I will go on record and state that ALL LIVE FOOD crosses that line. Raw food (sushi) no problem, actually really like it; cooked food, even better; live food --- not going to happen.

There are a couple videos on youtube showing the madness. It is quite fascinating to watch. It is just so not for me. In fact, many foods that Andrew Zimmern tries, I will probably pass on. For example, the deep fried rat on a stick. I know, how could I pass on anything deep fried? Or, how about the breaded and grilled tarantula (yeah, anyone who knows me knows I like spiders just about as much as I like snakes). All I can say is this man must either have a stomach of steel or own stock in the company that makes Tums. I wonder if Tums really helps calm the octopus you just ate that is now trying to find a way out of your stomach? I will have to double check the label for the drug facts on that one.

It is quite an interesting show though. Try to catch an episode if you haven't already. I am off to make dinner...or maybe I'll wait just a little bit longer.

2 comments:

hangel Wednesday, September 24, 2008 10:52:00 PM  

Okay...and that is why I don't like the Food Network. I am picky enough as it is!

Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I will now go have a nightmare.

flyingace Thursday, September 25, 2008 10:48:00 PM  

It wasn't on the food network. It was on the travel channel. The food network rocks!

About This Blog

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Nightingale by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP