18 --- Are you kidding?
Monday, September 29, 2008
While reading all the great news on CNN.com this afternoon about how the DOW lost over 600 points and it seems as though we are headed for really fun times with our economy, I stumbled across a story "Duggars reveal sex of No. 18: It's a girl". What??? How can you honestly been pregnant with your 18th child? So of course I had to read on and see what these people are all about.
Michelle Duggar, a.k.a Mom, is 42 years old and all together has been pregnant over 12 years of her life to give birth to 17 (soon to be 18) children. I just cannot get my head around that. Now, maybe its because I don't have any kids, maybe not, but I cannot understand the thinking of having 18 kids. It got me thinking though. Our economy is in trouble, we are using up the natural resources that we have, our demand for oil is astronomical. Is it irresponsible in this day in age to bring 18 kids into the world?
Now, I will say that none of the family is on welfare, or unemployed, or on state medical aid. They are all home schooled, so there they are not even taking up 18 spots in local classrooms. Yet, is this family using too much? Is there such a thing of using too much? Are they raising children to do what they have done? Statistics do show that children of homes where there are 5 or more NATURAL children (no step families or blended families are apparently used in this) are 87% more likely to have families of at least 5 children of their own. So doing quick and sloppy math, at least 15 of the 18 kids are likely to have at least 5 kids of their own. Just give it two generations and their family reunions will be somewhat near the total population of, I don't know...maybe Chicago...
I am not saying what they are doing is necessarily wrong, as they have the right to have as many children as they can support, but I think, especially in today's climate, that it may be a little irresponsible. And in case you are wondering, the mom was asked if 18 is going to be enough: “We would love more,’’ Michelle said. “We really believe that each child is a gift from God. We would love to receive more gifts if the Lord sees fit. I guess we’ll just wait and see.”
1 comments:
You need to watch less Food Network and more TLC...this family has been on there several times. It is interesting to watch them. They take care of themselves. That is impressive. Is 18 too many? Only they can decide that. Is 18 too many in my mind? If I have to carry them and birth them, then ABSOLUTELY!
Post a Comment