Okay, maybe I will take the Octopus
Friday, September 26, 2008
After reading my previous post about how eating live octopus can be very deadly, a friend e-mailed me the true top 10 deadliest delicacies. Guess what...the octopus didn't make the top 10. Makes you wonder what truly did make the top 10 then. Well, wait no more, here is the great list of foods we should all try in our life time!
#1: Fugu (Japanese Puffer Fish)
This fish is known for two things, the first being a taste that is supposedly far superior to any other fish. The second being the toxin this fish stores in its liver than is far deadlier than cyanide. If not prepared correctly, this delicacy will paralyze you within 8 hours and then kill you within 24 hours.
#2: Elderberries
This berry grows wild all over the world. The bark and roots contain cyanide, which I am fairly certain you want to avoid. Ripe elderberries are generally considered safe, as the berry itself does not have the traces of cyanide, however, in some eastern cultures, elderberries and their roots (remember I just said that its roots have cyanide) are used in herbal teas. It other words, skip the herbal tea if you do not know what's in it.
#3: Red Rock Fish
What is with fish...I thought fish were supposed to be good for you. Anyways, this fish is supposed to have a delicious, crab-like flavor. Yet, it is a member of the 'scorpionfish family'. Yes, I tend to stay away from scorpions on land, I am pretty sure I will do the same in the water too.
#4: Cassava
More commonly known as "Yucca" here in the states, Cassava is a root considered to be a vegetable. More than 500 million people use this as a main ingredient in many soups and stews around the world. So what is the problem? This root contains high levels of cyanide. The only way to rid the root of the deadly poison is to wash and cook it properly. If not, one single root "has enough cyanide concentration to kill a grown cow." I am pretty sure I weigh a lot less than most cows...
#5: Ackee
This is the national fruit of Jamaica. So why is it on the list? Well that would simply be because the fruit can often cause severe vomiting, seizures, and even fatal hypoglycemia. It is simply eaten if the fruit is not ripe enough or is too ripe.
#6: Silver-Striped Blassop
Now the third fish so far (I guess I will stick with salmon). Eating this fish is reportedly no problem, as long as you don't eat the wrong half of the fish. If you bite into a wrong part (the report has the liver, reproductive organs, and the skin) you are very likely to suffer from a fatal paralysis. Since 2005, this fish is been the cause of 10 deaths and hundreds of other serious cases because it is often prepared with the skin on, and is sometimes consumed that way.
#7: Inky Cap Mushrooms
Me personally, I think all mushrooms are going to cause me to die, but again, that's just me. This mushroom is supposedly fine to eat, as long as there is no alcohol mixed with it. And this mushroom retains its potency for up to 5 days after eaten. So skip the wine with dinner...or better yet, skip the mushroom!
#8: Namibian Bullfrog
A delicacy all over Africa, apparently eating this frog at the wrong time (before they breed) will cause temporary kidney failure. I think I will skip them no matter if what the status of them breeding is.
#9: Stonefish
(Is anyone else seeing a pattern with fish?!?) This fish is a popular one (even though I have never heard of it) as it was used on the TV show "Quincy, MD" (Before my time) as a murder weapon. It is often served as sashimi called 'Okoze'. Reportedly fine to eat as long as the dorsal fins and skin is removed. Otherwise, this is the most deadly fish in the world. Sounds tasty!
#10: Casu Marzu
(This one is just disturbing...) This is one of the world's few illegal cheeses, which I did not know that cheeses could be illegal. This is a delicacy, although I cannot figure out why, made from ROTTEN goat's milk and is crawling with live maggots. The rest is from the report...I just can't go on..."If you can handle the idea and tactile sensation of eating live larvae, you’re rewarded with a strong sour taste that can reportedly stay with you all day. Unfortunately, the human body has difficulty processing maggots, and in some extreme cases the little guys bore through the small intestine, causing bleeding, vomiting and other cheerful moments."
So I admit I was wrong about the octopus being one a highly deadly delicacy. Apparently something trying to kill you is not enough to make the top 10, although it did rank in the top 20. I will save the rest for another day though! Who's coming to dinner??
1 comments:
can I order pizza from now on? I'm scared of what you will cook for me.....
Post a Comment