Are we running in circles?
Friday, February 20, 2009
It is no secret that the nation is in a mess financially. It has been painfully obvious for some time now. The states are no better off. Most states are fighting budget deficits of staggering numbers. There are no quick or easy fixes to any of it, but the ideas that some states are coming up with, are bizarre.
One of the more talked about solutions include a 'beer tax'. Numerous states are trying to raise the tax on beer anywhere from 121% to 1900% (yes one thousand nine hundred percent). Now, I rarely drink. I have had probably 4 drinks this year (I think they have all been with my bro too...) but this kind of bothers me. We get taxed on anything and everything we do. Hundreds of thousands of people are out of work, but lets raise taxes to get more money out of these people? Now, I understand the argument for tax is that beer is nowhere near a necessity, and therefore should be able to be taxed heavily, much like cigarettes are. I don't necessarily disagree with this point, but I fear that something will come next then.
In some states, there is already a fairly high tax on fast food. "Junk food" is being taxed at an average of 1.5 times normal food tax in many states. Where does it end? Who gets to decide what gets taxed heavily and what doesn't? And why are we paying more, when most of us are already struggling as it is, to bail everything out. Why do we get taxed more, when hundreds of billions of dollars are being handed like it is nothing? When will it stop?
I guess I will go back to planting yet another money tree. None of them have grown yet, so I will keep my fingers crossed. Oh, and whoever said money doesn't grow on trees...technically money is paper, and we all know where paper comes from!
1 comments:
I think we need more than one tree...maybe we should wait until it stops snowing before we plant them, they might grow better then?...
Post a Comment