So much for celebrating our 4th

Wednesday, July 2, 2008

I don't know why, but this story just seems really depressing. MSNBC had on their morning news a story covering the festivities for the 4th of July. Usually these stories focus on huge celebrations such as the display of fireworks in Washington, DC or over the Statue of Liberty. This year, the story had a much different tone, it was about the LACK of celebrations planned this year.

Apparently there are many reasons that over half of the firework displays in the nation have been either scaled back, or completely canceled. Some of the celebrations in CA were canceled due to the extreme danger of more fires. With over 1400 separate fires burning in the state of CA alone, they did not want to take the chance of creating anymore. That was the case in a few other parts of the country as well, but the main reason that most of the celebrations were canceled was due to China.

I of course was confused about how a country thousands of miles away from us, and who never has had any involvement historically with our Independence from England, is preventing many cities from having any celebrations. But it soon made sense. Everyone can remember all the toy recalls from China over the past months due to safety hazards, such has lead paint and other violations. China's failing safety records did not stop with the toys though. Over the past year, there have been 20 separate explosions at firework factories across China, which has created a shortage of fireworks. Only about 60% of the inventory that was available last year, is available this year. Of course with a simple supply and demand calculation, the prices of fireworks, well, exploded, with the average simple sparkler costing 60% more this year, and the average price increase of any firework being between 35% and 80% higher. The average run-of-the-mill fireworks display (no counting the mega celebrations) cost between $40,000 and $75,000 last year. This year, cities cannot afford the severe increase in the cost of the fireworks and therefore are just canceling the festivities all together.

Now, I am no idealist on things like this usually, but isn't it time for a second look on how much and what we import? I understand that many things can be made cheaper and usually just as good outside the US, but you would think that when importing items starts prevent celebrations of independence of the United States, that we would begin to think twice about things like this. I guess I am wrong though.

On another depressing note about the state of the US and Americans, see if you can pass a sample test the INS gives those seeking to immigrate here. According to the INS, a score of 80% is needed to pass, however we this test is given to American Adults, the average score is a mere 44%. Nice huh. Oh and I didn't do great either though....a score of 74% for me. I guess I would not be getting a green card. The test is here. Good luck!

2 comments:

hangel Wednesday, July 02, 2008 10:36:00 PM  

Woo hoo! I got 60%. If you are going to kick me out of the country, could you send me some place warm? With a beach?

Jenae C. Thursday, July 03, 2008 10:18:00 AM  

I got 50%....And I just took a US history class a couple of semesters ago!!

About This Blog

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Nightingale by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP