How did he get pass security???

Thursday, July 24, 2008

I have heard many weird aviation stories, but this comes close to taking the cake. Last week, on an American Airlines flight from Boston - LAX, they had an problem with a man. The problem started when he 'seemed depressed and was talking jibberish' in the boarding area. Then, he did the same thing on board the aircraft, making the passengers around him nervous. He soon got up to use the lavatory, and this is where things take a turn for the worse. He comes out a few mintues later naked. Not a naked like still wearing underwear or anything, but COMPLETELY NAKED. He got about two rows into the cabin when he was forced back to the lavatory to dress again, which he did. As soon as he comes out of the lavatory the second time (dressed this time) he heads for an emergency exit and tries to open it.

Now, the theory behind the exits is that the pressure differential between inside and outside the aircraft makes it so the door will stay in place in flight, so in theory he should not be able to open the door, but nobody wants to see him try. Luckily, there was a college soccer team on the aircraft, and the head coach, assisted by a few other members of the team, tackled the man, put him in a seat, while two flight attendants tied him to the seat. The plane had to divert to Oklahoma City and have the authorities meet the plane, which in case anyone is wanting to try this includes FBI, as anything to do with commercial aviation is a federal offense. He was taken off the plane and is now in a mental institution for observation.

I know there are some people out there who feel sorry for the guy, and me personally, I hope he gets help if he truly needs it, but I do not feel sorry for a guy who was willing to try to kill 150+ people on an aircraft by opening a door in flight, not to mention any fatalities on the ground. My question is though, what happened with all the security checks that are in place to stop behavior like this on board an aircraft, because let me tell you, 7 miles in the air is a bad place to have to deal with a situation like this. TSA, or gate agents, or the flight attendants, or even people sitting around him in the gate area should have noticed his erratic behavior and reported it. He never should have been on the plane to begin with. Oh well. Can't change the whole world in a day I guess.

On a completely different topic, my crew and I went to see "The Dark Knight" on the IMAX screen in Manchester, NH. Mainly because there is not much in NH, but also because of the reviews, and let me tell you, the movie rocks. Have a chance, go see it. Have a chance to see it on the IMAX screen, do it. Even if it is farther away. It is well worth it.

2 comments:

Jenae C. Thursday, July 24, 2008 7:58:00 PM  

so I guess you don't mind seeing it again when you get home??? If its that good, I wanna see it too!! Love you!

hangel Thursday, July 24, 2008 9:07:00 PM  

Jim went and saw it IMAX on Tuesday. He said it was awesome. I just like Heath Ledger...but he looks kinda scary. Are you telling me I shouldn't try to ride in a plane naked? Hmmm...goodinformation to have!

About This Blog

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Nightingale by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP