It was the best of times, it was the worst of times
Saturday, February 23, 2008
I love the food network, and because of a show that features the best restaurants, I actually have a list of resturants I would love to try in my lifetime. The latest show was in New York City, and the restaurant “Serendipity 3”. This place had a notable claim to fame. The week of 07 November 2007, the Guinness Book of World Records certified the restaurant for having the world’s most expensive dessert. The dessert, which has a price tag of $25,000 per bowl, is a chocolate Sunday, featuring a 24K gold spoon that is yours to keep, and among delicacies such as black truffles, there are also edible gold flakes adorning the top of this over-the-top dessert.
Now, I was not about to drop more than I make in a year on a dessert, but I had to do some research on the thing anyway. I found through the search a story on the New York Times newspaper website that kind of took the luster of the dessert away. It seems as though the fame of having the most expensive dessert actually cost them much more than they could handle. The fame brought in the NYC health inspectors, and in the same week the Guinness people had given them the title of the dessert, the NYC inspectors gave them a different piece of paper…one that would shut them down for a minimum of 10 days. Now why would this happen? Apparently it had a lot to do with the cleanliness, or severe lack thereof, the restaurant’s kitchen. I guess the inspectors were not huge fans of the mouse droppings that had been found, along with the mouse that was responsible for at least some of the mess. The numerous amounts of fruit flies and house flies didn’t help the situation, but the more than 100 reported cockroaches making their way through the kitchen was probably the straw that broke the camel’s back.
The bad part for the restaurant owners is that generally, people like to eat in a clean restaurant, with food that is prepared in a clean kitchen. Now this rings true for almost everyone, but ESPECIALLY those people who are going to drop an amount equal to many new cars just on dessert. The news apparently spread so quickly thorough the small amount of people who had made reservations specifically for the dessert, that when all canceled, the restaurant owners decided to not reopen. You see, everyone does get their just desserts. (I know, I know, the pun sucked)
So I guess we should all go to DQ and get their $1.99 sundae. I know that it doesn’t come with the spoon that could pay your mortgage for a year, but it also doesn’t come with the cockroaches. So take your pick, but I’ll be sticking with the latter. Or we can go back to the subject of edible insects and just sprinkle the roaches on top like crushed peanuts….
1 comments:
Would you get off the edible bug thing? yuck!! And are you sure that DQ doesn't have the roaches in their kitchens????
Post a Comment