All it takes is a goat!

Thursday, February 21, 2008

There are three big issues that can cause delays during air travel. I have seen them all numerous times, along with just about anybody who has traveled. These three issues are weather, ATC and mechanical. Now, I don't know what you can do to alleviate the first two, other than make sure that the ATC system gets the updated equipment it needs, but I have learned something that can help you deal with the last issue.

Mechanical issues are rarely serious, more often than not, it is a light that needs replacing, or something like a lavatory lock that is sticking. No big deal, but still needs to be taken care of. However, there are occasionally issues that take much longer, and even cause airlines to cancel flights, but trust me, it is all for complete safety.

Nepal Airlines, a fairly small airline, has found a way to deal with the plague of mechanical issues that were bringing havoc on their tiny fleet of 757s. They brought in a Hindu Priest to assist with the matter. Now the first thought that crossed my mind was I hoped this priest was a really good mechanic. Apparently, the priest knew nothing of how an airplane works, but he did know something else.

A couple weeks after the priest had been brought in, Nepal Airlines released a statement to the press that the mechanical issues had been 100% resolved "by sacrificing two goats to appease the Hindu sky god Akash Bhairab." Well, damn if I don't feel stupid. Why did I not think of that? Here I am thinking that the mechanics would figure out the issues and correct the situation, but apparently they don't need the mechanics, but rather just a small staff of Hindu Priests and a very large herd of goats.

Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to make fun of the Hindu Priest, and in fact there are many studies that show simple faith can cure quite a lot of difficult situations. I am just a little hesitant to believe that the sacrifice of two goats deems an aircraft free of the mechanical problems that had mechanics working for several weeks prior with no avail. Regardless of how I feel, there have been no incidents of the aircraft that the goats gave their lives for, nor have there been any reports of problems for the entire airline. So, to be on the safe side, next time you travel, make sure you pack a couple extra goats that you can sacrifice, just in case you encounter a delay due to a mechanical issue. (And just for the record, Mom, sacrificing goats will not help you get first class seats to Hawaii).

1 comments:

hangel Thursday, February 21, 2008 10:11:00 PM  

A goat...will I be able to get that through security?

About This Blog

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Nightingale by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP