Wow!

Wednesday, June 11, 2008


So this image (although not taken by me) is a perfect example of what we had on our windshield for the last about 100 miles coming into Charleston, SC last night. It is called St. Elmo's Fire. It is basically when electricity (such as in our case as lightning) rolls around a metal surface rather than through it. For this to occur, at least 1000 volts per centimeter on a pointed object, such has an aircraft nose, has to be present. Basically, without going into a science lecture, it is a welcome sign to pilots as it means that our static wicks and other lightning devices are working and we have not been struck....yet.

It is quite a sight to see though. Here we are, in the middle of the night, in a middle of the thunderstorm, and we get this amazing phenomenon for 15 minutes. It really shows the awesome power of a storm, and the force behind the elements that come along with it. Don't worry mom, planes don't get struck by lightning too often!

To my brother, I understand that I am not in the running as far as the number of posts go, and I am okay with that. However, if you would like to try being away from home for 12 days at a time, and still blog, be my guess! See you soon! To my sister, it has already been said, but I too could, a couple times a week say that I am too busy to post and that I will post soon again. Ha! See you soon too!! Save some rockband for me.

1 comments:

Anonymous Thursday, September 18, 2008 10:27:00 PM  

take your own picture next time

About This Blog

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Nightingale by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP