Are we really the best??

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

For many decades, the United States has long been a country that was the envy of the world. In the past, people were flocking here by the thousands, giving up everything they knew to cross the ocean and come to the cities of America in search of a better life for themselves, their family, and the future generations. So why over the last few years, has the perception of American cities changed? Have other cities around the world caught up to us, or have we declined in the eyes of the world?


This question is further driven home by the 2008 report of the top cities in the world to live. In the past reports, the U.S. always had a city in the top 10, and many within the top 25. However, all that has changed now. America has officially dropped off the top 10, 20, even the top 25 list. Now, what goes into the judging of the top cities? The panel takes the 650 most populated cities from around the world and judges them on qualities of all sorts, from basic things such as air quality and traffic congestion, to life expectancy and quality of life of each citizen. Also factors such as education, poverty levels, city economics, population with jobs, and many other areas.

Here is how the list ranks:
1) Zurich, Switzerland
2) Vienna, Austria
3) Geneva, Switzerland,
4) Vancouver, Canada
5) Auckland, New Zealand
6) Dusseldorf, Germany
7) Munich, Germany
8) Frankfurt, Germany
9) Bern, Switzerland
10) Sydney, Australia
11) Copenhagen, Denmark
12) Wellington, New Zealand
13) Amsterdam, Netherlands
14) Brussels, Belgium
15) Toronto, Canada
16) Berlin, Germany
17) Melbourne, Australia
18) Luxembourg, Luxembourg
19) Ottawa, Canada
20) Stockholm, Sweden

For those of you keeping score at home, Switzerland, Germany, or Canada seem to be the places to live. But when and why was there this dramatic shift from the US to other cities? Where are we going wrong? You have to go all the way down to #28 on the full list to find the first U.S. city. Can you guess what city it was? (My bet was Charlotte, N.C. and I was wrong). It is Honolulu, HI. the next one was all the way down at #41. In fact we only had 4 cities in the top 50. Switzerland had 3 in the top 10. Canada had as many in the top 20 and Germany...well who knew that Germany was such a good place to live. You may have noticed that there were no Asian countries on the list either, or in countries such as England, Italy, or France, but they have rarely seen any action on the top 25. We have, so why are we falling down the ranks.

Another report that came out last week was the world's healthiest countries. Now, I thought for sure the U.S. would have been the top 3 for sure here. If you want some advice, bet against me. In the top 15 healthiest countries in the world, the U.S. was #11.

For those who are curious like me, here is a quick breakdown:

15) France --- High TB rates and the worst waste water treatment of the top 15
14) Spain ---- Highest TB rate of the top 15 and very high air pollution
13) Czech Republic --- Poor sanitation coverage, and lowest life expectancy
12) Israel --- High air pollution and high cancer rates
11) United States --- high air pollution, high cancer rates, highest obesity rates in the world
10) Netherlands
9) Austria
8) Canada
7) Denmark
6) Australia
5) Switzerland
4) Germany
3) Finland
2) Sweden
1) Iceland

I don't know why I am surprised by these results. I guess I am just happy about where I live and am proud to be a U.S. citizen. I have not see much of the world to compare, but have always felt that I will be able to live a successful life being in America, but looking at the our country today, and all the troubles we are in, it makes you think. I meet many people everyday, and not that I talk to many passengers other than the quick 'good-bye', as a crew, we often go to dinner or something together, and I have heard many takes on why America is falling short on a place to live. Now, I am in a profession where this is more accepted, but there are many many pilots going overseas to fly for foreign carriers because other countries and companies treat you better. They think their kids will get a better education and that they will be happier as a family. Isn't that why people were coming to America? Who would have guessed that the U.S. would be a place where people actually leave in search for a better life? What happened? Why are we not the best anymore?

For starters, I think we need to get priorities in order. Teachers are making just enough to be above the poverty lines, but basketball players are getting 7 million dollars a year. We are spending BILLIONS of dollars to explore Mars thousands of miles away, but can't feed the homeless around the corner. CEOs are making millions of dollars a year, as they drive a company into the ground leaving thousands of blue collar workers jobless and unable to support their family. And we wonder why American cities are falling off the ranks.

0 comments:

About This Blog

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Nightingale by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP