Does it really matter?

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

During my trip to Phoenix last week, 3 others from my Mesa class and myself stopped at a "Subway" for a quick dinner one night. We had all gotten our subs and were sitting down to eat, when another customer came into the restaurant as well. He had that look about him (and scent) of being homeless. He was looking at the menu and the four of us were talking away, not paying any attention to him, until he started to talk. He asked one of the employees what happened to the Sub of the Day promotion (where each day of the week featured a different sub at a great price). The employee stated that the new promotion was still the basic concept, but now it was a whole meal deal, with drinks and chips for still a really good price, but the sandwich themselves were no longer on promotion. I don't think anyone expected the next words out of his mouth: "It's because you are from Iraq."

The female employee then called for the male employee who appeared to be of the same nationality as the female. The male asked if he could help the homeless man, and he went on again: "You took away the sale because you are from Iraq and want money." The male employee kept his cool. He simply informed the man that it was a Phoenix area franchise decision and that he was not from Iraq, not that his race or nationality should have anything to do with the situation. The man began to start to say something else, and the employee stopped him before two words came out of his mouth by calling the police. The man quickly left, and it was over. Well, it was over for us who were watching at least. I can't even imagine how this pair of employees felt. I cannot believe that this Donkey (keeping it clean) decided to even think something like that, much less say it. Why does race and nationality come into EVERYTHING?

I understand what happened on 9/11. My profession was probably one of the most affected out there by that horrible, horrible day. Too many times walking through the airport, I see people stop and stare, or even complain about someone from a different country and different religious beliefs praying behind a sign, trying to stay hidden. Or someone telling the gate agent that they don't feel comfortable flying with "that person" on the plane. Well, I have one response to those people:1) Pull your head out of your assThere is enough trouble in this world, and it seems like almost all of it can be blamed on race or religion. I know that these problems are not new. Jenae and I have been watching the series "Rome" which was on HBO and shows the life and times of Rome during Julius Cesar and Marc Anthony. They had some of the same problems we have today, so I know these problems have been around for thousands of years. But why? Why does it always seem that religion or race matters? Who cares?

Quite frankly, everyone has to remember that there are good and bad to every religion and race. For the white Christians there are the KKK and Nazis. Yes, their beliefs come from a Christian background. The whole point is there are extremist is every race and every religion. Yet, my question is again, does it really matter? I know that nothing will get accomplished through my rant, but I do hope that one day, I can walk through just one airport even once, and not hear negative things about other people because of what they believe or how they dress or what they look like. One day would be a start.

There are many people who believe that although there may be less public displays of racism, especially in America, it is far from gone. My biggest problem is when I see one of these morons in an airport complaining about someone because of their beliefs, they are often doing so in front of their kids. I wonder what those kids will grow up thinking. I wonder if they will have the same screwed up ideas as their parents.

If you haven't seen them, there are two movies that illustrate what I am talking about. The first one is "Crash" and stars people such as Sandra Bullock, Matt Dillon, and Brendan Fraser. Really good movie and shows a very America side to the race issues. The second one is "The Kingdom" which has Jamie Foxx, Chris Cooper, and Jennifer Garner. This one is even more fitting for the times as it explores the clash between the Middle East and America. Rent them if you haven't seen them, and let me know what you think. In the mean time, remember everyone has feelings, and everyone can have those feelings hurt. Like the "Subway" incident --- there was not physical damage, no punches thrown, or worse suicide bombings, but there was pain inflicted. I could see it on the faces of those two people just trying to make a life for themselves.

1 comments:

Blade Wednesday, March 12, 2008 8:36:00 AM  

Working where I do.. I see the racism stuff going both directions on a regular basis. It's sad that it still happens in this day and age, but some parents are still passing down prejudices to their kids.

About This Blog

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Nightingale by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP