Don't Snuff it Out!

Thursday, April 10, 2008

So for the past week, one of the major continuous stories reported on CNN has been the attempts to actually try to put out the Olympic Torch. The Torch is currently involved in a world tour covering 85,000 miles and 20 nations. In past Olympic years, seeing the torch has been a great honor for hundreds of thousands all over the world. This year, there are hundreds who have the idea to actually put out the flame. Why?

These people who are trying to extinguish the flame have the idea that by attempting to put it out will show the world that they are unhappy with China (and yes, the Olympics happen to be in Beijing this year). However, I am struggling to find the connection with the Chinese government and the Olympic flame. I understand that China supports other governments such as Sudan and Myanmar that just about the rest of the world are against. Also, China has had, shall we saw tarnished, human rights record. But why go after a symbol for hundreds of dedicated athletes from dozens of countries though. The Olympics have always set out to be about sportsmanship and the gathering of countries spreading goodwill throughout the world. I know that is probably looking a little too hard into it, and that there have been past problems at other Olympic games, but I still think that these protesters need to find something else to target, other than the Torch.

Just earlier this week, the Torch was in San Francisco, and tension was high. The entire route had to be changed, and shortened. The ceremony was canceled, and thousands missed the torch because of the rerouting. Children and adults alike were robbed of the chance to see what has generally been regarded with honor and respect. The officials had no choice but to reroute with the dozens of groups of protesters using violence along games that are there to promote peace. Go figure. I guess I have never figured out why some think it is appropriate to protest the way someone or some government is violating human rights, and then end up violating rights themselves by using violence, or ensuring that a 12 year old kid does not get the chance to see an international icon. It looks like the pot is calling the kettle black.

I am not saying that I agree with all that the Chinese government has done, although I don't agree with everything that my government has done too. I am hoping that these people will grow up though, stop fighting on the streets, and show a little respect to the efforts that hundreds of talented athletes have put into the games. If you want to protest the Chinese government or how they have a poor human rights past, then do so, but not at the expense of others.

On a completely different note, please keep my Grandma and my family in your prayers.

1 comments:

Jennifer Thursday, April 10, 2008 7:16:00 PM  

Want to hear something cool? Brian's cousin's Aunt in Law was one of the women who carried the torch in SF! She's an ALS sufferer and this was one of her dreams!

About This Blog

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Nightingale by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP